Have you ever helped a friend move?
Or paint their house?
Or gotten those heavy boxes down from the attic for your grandmother?
You probably don’t enjoy it at the time. You’re hot, sweaty, maybe ruining your clothes. And your manicure – no, let’s not think about that.
But at the end of the day, as you’re guzzling water, laughing, and commiserating, you feel good.
Volunteering is Like That – Except Your Efforts Help Even More People
April is National Volunteer Month. And we want to help you get your volunteer on.
That’s why this month we’re starting our partnership with Cabot Creamery Co-operative (yes, your favorite cheese!) in their Reward Volunteers initiative. But before we do that, we want to get you excited about helping others.
Make Your Body Happy - with Volunteering
Volunteering can help make our communities stronger. But did you know it can also make you happier?
According to a study by the Corporation for National Community Service, volunteering improves your health by:
- Decreasing your risk of depression
- Reducing stress levels
- Providing a sense of purpose
- Increasing the likelihood of staying active
Remember to Take Care of Yourself
But you can only enjoy the health benefits of volunteering if you take care of yourself while you’re out working.
- Drink water. Besides the health benefits you already get from drinking water, if you don’t stay hydrated while working, you’ll be the one who needs help.
- Make your meals ahead. Volunteering takes time, but you still need to take care of your family. Prepare a quick, healthy meal for yourself and your family using this Quick and Easy Meal Planner.
- Wear comfortable shoes. You’ll probably be on your feet and moving around a lot. We create shoes focused on personalized comfort and support – and they’re approved by the American Podiatric Medical Association, so you know you’re going to feel great at the end of a long day of volunteering. (And, remember, we’re a B Corp, so we give a portion of every purchase to charity - doing good while feeling good.)
Find the Right Volunteer Opportunity
There are plenty of volunteer opportunities. Which one is right for you?
First, consider what you’re passionate about and your abilities. Then, determine how much time you have to give and if you want to be hands-on or work behind the scenes.
Once you decide what the type of volunteering you want to do, there are plenty of free online resources to find volunteer opportunities in your area.
Now You Can Get Rewarded for Volunteering!
The farm families who own Cabot want to reward you for the good you do for your community, so they developed Reward Volunteers. It is a free, easy way to track the time you spend volunteering and earn rewards for yourself and for the organizations you serve.
They have wonderful prizes from fellow B Corps, including Ben & Jerry’s, King Arthur Flour, and Seventh Generation, plus you can win cash for your organization! Learn more about how Reward Volunteers works here.
Get Committed to Your Cause
Volunteering is good for your community – and for you. You’ll be amazed by the friends you’ll make and the things you learn once involved. Let us know how you get involved!
To learn more about Therafit’s commitment to communities across the country and amazing products, click here.
If you would like to learn more about Cabot Creamery Cooperative, find delicious recipes, or take a virtual tour of some of the cooperative’s 1,200 family farms, click here.